In this month the day of ‘Ashura—which falls on the 10th of Muharram, today or tomorrow depending on your calendar, the Holy Prophet (Sallallahu ‘alayhi wa Sallam) recommended that we fast on this day, by his Sunnah. He also indicated how we should observe the fast of Ashura.
According to varying calendars, the 10th Muharram is Friday 29/Saturday 30th September 2017.
And Allah Almighty created the Pen (al-Qalam) on that day and the Heavens and Earth on that day . That was a Friday– not a Saturday or Sunday.
Hakam ibn Al-Arat (Radiyallahu ‘anh) relates: I went to Ibn Abbas (Radiyallahu ‘anh)… I said to him: Tell me about fasting on Ashura. He said, “When you seen the new moon of Muharram count the (days) and (begin to) observe fast on the 9th.” I said to him: “Is it how the Holy Messenger of Allah (Sallallahu ‘alayhi wa Sallam) observed the fast?” He said, “Yes.” [Sahih Muslim]
Hazrat Ibn Abbas (Radiyallahu ‘anh) relates that when the Holy Prophet (Sallallahu ‘alayhi wa Sallam) said: “If I survive till next year, I will definitely observe fast on the 9th of Muharram (as well).” [Sahih Muslim]
(Note: What the Holy Prophet (Sallallahu ‘alayhi wa Sallam) meant was that he would also fast on the 9th as well as the 10th to which he was accustomed. We also should try fasting on the 9th and the 10th of Muharram.
Fasting is recommended on the 9th and 10th of Muharram. If it is not possible to fast on both days, then every effort should be made to fast on the 10th day of Muharram, as there is great reward for this fast. (Muslim).
It is also acceptable to fast on the 10th and 11th of Muharram if the 9th and 10th Muharram is not possible according to Maulana Sheikh Nazim’s QS advice.
Hazrat Ibn Abbas (Radiyallahu ‘anh) reports that the Holy Prophet (Sallallahu ‘alayhi wa Sallam) arrived in Madinah and found the Jews observing fast on the day of Ashura… They said: “It is the day of great (significance) when Allah delivered Hazrat Musa (‘Alaihis-Salaam) and his people and drowned Pharoah and his people, and Sayyidina Musa (‘Alaihis-Salaam) observed fast out of gratitude. And we also observe it.”
The Holy Messenger of Allah (Sallallahu ‘alayhi wa Sallam) responded: “We have more right, and we have closer connection with Sayyidina Musa (‘Alaihis-Salaam) than you have”; so Allah’s Messenger (Sallallahu ‘alayhi wa Sallam) observed fast (on the day of Ashura) and gave us orders to observe it. [Sahih Bukhari and Muslim]
HISTORICAL EVENTS ON 10TH MUHARRAM
On this same 10th day of Muharram,
*Allah extinguished the fire in which Sayyidina Ibrahim (‘Alaihis-Salaam) was thrown by Nimrod; Allah (Subhanahu wa Ta’ala) spoke directly to Sayyidina Musa (‘Alaihis-Salaam) and gave him the Commandments.
*Allah (Subhanahu wa Ta’ala) gave victory to Sayyidina Musa (‘Alaihis-Salaam) and split the sea for him and for his nation and defeated Pharoah.
* On this day: Allah (Subhanahu wa Ta’ala) accepted the repentance of Sayyidina Adam (‘Alaihis-Salaam) after his exile from Paradise;
1. Sayyidina Ayyub (‘Alaihis-Salaam) was restored to health (from leprosy);
2. Sayyidina Yusuf (‘Alaihis-Salaam) was reunited with his father Ya’qub (‘Alaihis-Salaam);
3. Sayyidina Yunus (‘Alaihis-Salaam) was taken out from the belly of the fish;
4. The sea was divided as the nation of Israel was delivered from captivity and Pharoah’s army was destroyed.
5. Prophet Nuh (‘Alaihis-Salaam) was also saved on this day when the world’s seas overtook the lands and they made a special desert in gratitude to Allah Almighty for saving them (Ashura in turkish deserts).
Allah (Subhanahu wa Ta’ala) saved Sayyidina Nuh (‘Alaihis-Salaam) and his companions in the ark by landing on Mount Judi;
6. Ashura is also the day when Sayyidina Dawud (‘Alaihis-Salaam) was forgiven;
7. The Kingdom of Sayyidina Sulaiman (‘Alaihis-Salaam) was restored;
8. Sayyidina Isa (‘Alaihis-Salaam) was raised to Jannah;
9. Sayyidina al-Husayn (Radiyallahu ‘anh) (the Holy Prophet’s, Sallallahu ‘alayhi wa Sallam, grandson) achieved the honour of Martyrdom.
10. The Seal of Messengers (SWS), on that day, Allah Almighty made Sayyidina Muhammad (SWS) to marry Sayyidata Khadijah (RA) and
11. Sayyidina Muhammad (SWS) migrated to Medinah with Sayyidina Abu Bakr as-Siddiq RA on that day.
12. Imam Mahdi AS is also expected to accept his position on this day, Allah Almighty knows when.
BENEFITS OF ACTIONS ON 10TH MUHARRAM
*Worship Allah (Subhanahu wa Ta’ala) as much as you can on ‘Ashura. Whoever fasts on this day is like one who fasts all his life.
*Whoever clothes a naked person Allah (Subhanahu wa Ta’ala) will release him from a painful punishment.
*He who visits a sick person, Allah (Subhanahu wa Ta’ala) will grant him a reward that will not be decreased.
*Whoever places his hand on an orphan’s head, or feeds a hungry person or gives water to a thirsty man, Allah will feed him a feast from Paradise and will quench his thirst with Salsabil (a wine that does not intoxicate).
GHUSL ON 10TH MUHARRAM
And who ever takes a Ghusl on this day will enjoy excellent health and freedom from sickness and indolence. Whoever provides generously for his family on this day, Allah (Subhanahu wa Ta’ala) will be generous to him throughout this year. And whoever applies Kuhl to his eyes will never suffer from eye-sore again, InSha’Allah al-Aziz.
Hazrat Abdullah bin Masood (Radi Allah Anhu), a Companion of the Holy Prophet Muhammad (Sal Allahu Alaihi wa Sallam) reports the following saying of the Messenger of Allah Ta’ala (SWS),
“Whosoever prepares ample food and drink for his family on this sacred day and delights in feeding them generously, Allah Ta’ala will increase His provisions for that year and place much blessings and good therein.”
The Ashura Desert – Celebrated widely in Turkey and neighbouring countries
The day of Ashura is one of the traditional and celebrated days in Turkey. Families traditionally make the desert based upon Prophet Noah’s (AS) pudding they made whilst travelling in the Ark.
Ashura’s ingredients can include water, wheat, chickpeas, rice, raisins, dried apricots, dried figs, apple, salt, sugar and honey. Grated orange and lemon peel, walnuts, hazelnuts, cinnamon and pomegranate seeds are also included as garnish. It is distributed to neighbours, and the dish is eaten with pleasure.
If you can’t make it, as we are not all cooks or good at cooking – including me! – you can buy these from Green Lanes N15, Yashar Halim or any other Turkish or Arabic food store.
May Allah Almighty Bless us to perform good deeds and gain their reward on day of ‘Ashura. We hope Allah Almighty makes the new year one of unity, peace, justice, forgiveness, mercy, co-operation and success for all believers in this city and around the world. Ameen.